...and August takes away the summer!

This summer was the best I’ve definitely ever had since I moved to London. Weather has been warm the whole time, I can’t even describe the feeling! Wanting to stay out, meeting up with friends, feeling like is never time to go home (however you really know it is the time), going for runs at the nearest park at sunset. People says that was the best summer ever...full stop!

Now, apparently August is sweeping everything away with it, but also bearing time for vacation for me, in fact in about a week I'm finally leaving ! But this is another post :) !

...During the summer I’ve come across Murakami’s book Norwegian woods. He was already known to me, I remember last year in Sydney I bought a copy for a friend of mine that was turning 40. I loved the idea of buying to her a really beautiful and well written book and doing my research I "met" Murakami. Since then I’ve always wanted to read that book and finally a few weeks back I was with my boyfriend in central London, we decided to check out the Japan Centre and there I found the book, my boyfriend noticed my interest and decided to buy a copy for me !

After a year I find myself holding the same book and wondering if my friend has read it and eventually if she's felt the same way I did. During the whole book there’s just a continuous flow of different emotions, It was probably one of the saddest book I’ve ever read; It drains you of all the energies, but you still loving it in a kind of sadistic way, learning about the characters fates. 
This Story is on one side a story of misadventure and a melancholic exploration of adolescent love and another side a thought-provoking and poignant study of memory, morality and mortality. Murakami never disappoints and always writes with a poetic richness that leaves almost every line hanging with symbolic possibility” (Goodreads) 
If I could summarize my feeling after the book they will probably looked pretty much like this.


When I finished the book, I thought about starting to read something else of his, I can't understand what was it, but perhaps I felt a little too pervaded by melancholy, for which I preferred to take a break from him, trying to wrap my head around what could be the next book for me.

One morning, going to the station, I brought with me an old guide about Dominican Republic (I know it's not very fair and probably a bit cheap, but as I believe in destiny and coincedences I thought someone might need it!) and at the book exchange I took with me Rise by Gina Miller, to be honest I’ve never heard about her before that day, but the undertitle "

Life Lessons in Speaking Out, Standing Tall & Leading the Way" felt like it was gonna be a good book for me.


That was actual a pleasant surprised! I started reading it and I immediately thought I was destined to read it. Besides the political part it is interesting because it explains through personal experiences how to face life and the difficulties that arise, especially from a woman perspective! It is reading this book that I've become passionate about Gina Miller and I decided to start to follow her advice and take her as a example! And almost to give me a confirmation that my trust and respect for her were founded, the other day something really crazy and spooky happened: I was reading sat up on the stairs of an office near work, at one point I realize that it was late and that I had to get back to work soon. 
I get up, close the book, look up and saw her in front of me, climbing on the rear seat of a  Land Rover, Gina Miller! I waved my hand, she looked at me puzzled and then she recognizes the book, tells the driver to wait, come out and I approached her! I couldn't contain the joy, I thanked her for the book, for the words and for the strength that gives me through her words! She thanked and asked me what was my name, all of this with such a warm smile and genuine expression! I intruduced myself and wished her all the best! She looked me a bit more serious, like a fierce warrior and says: "there's more to come!" I let her go after hugging her and thanking her again !
I could not believe. Some things happens for a reason!

I was trying to add a picture of the book, but strangely I can't find any on the internet. It seems like the book has been obscured from it. I've decided, for how much I liked it that I will let it travel. People has to read what this fantastic woman has to say. 

Well, August wasn't just about books, the other interesting thing is that I turned 27 years old!

I celebrated with several friends that I had not seen for so long and others came from much further away. It was a beautiful day, I felt loved! I received calls and video messages from every part of the globe and it was incredibly warming! It does make the difference to have a day like this. Which I was lucky to be able to document with a Polaroid camera, that I've received on the day. I had so much fun trying to gather everyone in the frames in order to have a nice bunch of memories of the day! 

The whole b-day was pretty hectic !  
Loved it ! 


What a laugh going through all these pictures. Overall I feel very lucky! I've got loving, honest people around. I feel energised and positive in most of my days ! In less than a month I'm going to go back to school, in less than a week I'll be in my favourite city in the whole world (any guess??). Things couldn't be any better! 


With Love,
Nic xx

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

E il valore (scontato ) delle piccole cose...-.-

When there is nothing else to burn, you gotta set yourself on fire.

Who said "Can't" ?